Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and tcpdump

From: David Bellizzi <dbelliz () angmar com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:21:20 -0800

Try snort -dve <insert your tcpdump filters here>
and see what you get.
db

Ganu Skop wrote:

hi all,
got this matter to solve;
anyone got a paper/reference  on tcpdump and snort - a
reference need it pretty badly.
as in my opinion, tcpdump by default only capture 60
bytes of data (no payload) and we need to do the
filter based on abnormal packet behaviour - more or
less like shadow ids.
where as snort has all the feature with rules , stream
assembly and etc.
therefore it's better to run snort than capture
tcpdump and load it back to snort ..right ?

need ur feedback

=====
//skopganu