Snort mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD-4.4 STABLE + snort 1.8.2 beta (10/26) Build 85 OK

From: Andrew Johns <johnsa () kpi com au>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:27:15 +1100

Mike Squires wrote:

I installed 1.8.2 beta (Build 85) with associated rules files (also
downloaded 10/26) on a PII/300
running FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE (recompiled 10/12) and snort has been running
for 24 hours, no problems.

I used the standard FreeBSD configure options (no MySQL, no OBDC,
no PostGresQL)

1.8.1-RELEASE crashes (segementation error) in from 10 minutes to a day or
so, depending on which rules file or set of rules files I use.

I've got 1.8.1-RELEASE running on FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE compiled
10/10 and it's been up for as long as I've needed it, currently
just under 13 days.  I've nmapped it several times during demos
and for testing on 100MB ethernet and I can't fault it
personally.  Almost all the rulesets are in use.

Hardware is as below:
P166MMX
32MB RAM
2GB HDD

No options to configure were used - just plain configure/make.

Do you have gmake installed?

--
Andrew Johns