Snort mailing list archives

Re: Hardware required for monitoring a DS3

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:56:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 brandon () roguetrader com wrote:

We have a few DS3's and are averaging an aggregate of about 40MBit of them.

Ok, realize that you're pushing a helluva lot of traffic.  The T1's aren't
your best choice.  They run out of gas on that traffic rather quickly.

I have recently been evaluating upgrading.  We tried a Sun Netra T1/500MHz
and it was slower than our existing P3/850Mhz.  I also had some problems
because it appeared to actually process less packets but did not record ANY
lost packets, compared to our FreeBSD box on intel.  With a few minute
span each on the same hub recording the same data the Intel/BSD box
recorded about 2.3mil packets with less than 1 % loss and the SUn
recorded about 1.5 mil packets with zero loss.  We have since
disregarded the sun as a viable option.  What we did end up deciding
on was a Dual Athalon MP core at 1.2GHz.  We are buying the eracks
version (http://www.eracks.com).

What I would be interested in seeing is a comparison of (Solaris Sparc vs.
Solaris Intel) vs (OpenBSD/Sparc vs. OpenBSD/Intel) on the same sets of
hardware.  I'm wondering if it's the OS that made the difference or the
platform.  I'm running on Solaris 7 and not seeing any packets lost.  Granted,
the sensors are spread out all over, and traffic is fairly segregated...  I've
seen nothing like that.  Was your ether interface taking a lot of errors?  Or
was this just 'silent drops'?

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy