Snort mailing list archives

Re: Hardware required for monitoring a DS3

From: brandon () roguetrader com
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:02:44 -0600

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:36:05PM -0700, Erek Adams wrote:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, SecLists wrote:

I am wondering if any of you would know what type of Intel machine setup I
would need to monitor a DS3 at a fairly large sevice provider. The machine
would be running OpenBSD 2.9. The DS3 is typically at about 60-70% usage
at peak times... It will also be logging to a remote database.

Also, any idea how much disk space we should plan for? The ruleset would
not be too stringent as we have many different types of traffic coming
over that link...

Gee...  A big one?  Seriously, have a look st:

  http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#2.10

The honest answer is there is no 'one size fits all' answer.  Best suggestions
I've seen:

      Good Nic!       --Probably one of the most important..
      Fast Processor  --Probably one of the most important.
      Plenty of RAM   --Some preprocssors chew up RAM.
      Enough Disk     --Enough disk to log X amount of time.
      Plenty of CPU   --More traffic, the bigger the engine needs to be.
      Fast HD Cntrl   --UWSCSI.
      Fast HD's       --Solid State drives rock!
      Backend Nic     --For Admin and logging to remote console.

Now, yes you will spend some cash on this, but do a <cost of 'comapny
secrets'> vs. <box cost> and you'll see real quick that the box is a lot
cheaper!

If you drop that into a box, you're gonna be able to snort a large amount of
packets.  Just get 4x the box you think.  If it's 400mhz on the table, get a
1.2k cpu.  I know it sounds crazy, but it's easier not to rebuild every 2
years...

A Sun Netra X1 would be nice, or even a Netra T1.  Intel is not required...
:)

We have a few DS3's and are averaging an aggregate of about 40MBit of them.
I have recently been evaluating upgrading.  We tried a Sun Netra T1/500MHz
and it was slower than our existing P3/850Mhz.  I also had some problems
because it appeared to actually process less packets but did not record ANY
lost packets, compared to our FreeBSD box on intel.  With a few minute
span each on the same hub recording the same data the Intel/BSD box
recorded about 2.3mil packets with less than 1 % loss and the SUn
recorded about 1.5 mil packets with zero loss.  We have since
disregarded the sun as a viable option.  What we did end up deciding
on was a Dual Athalon MP core at 1.2GHz.  We are buying the eracks
version (http://www.eracks.com).

-Brandon