Snort mailing list archives

ICMP PING speedera

From: "Bruno Gimenes Pereti" <pereti () ump edu br>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:35:40 -0300

What does "ICMP PING speedera" do? I have a lot of them and never woried
about because they don't look harmfull. But yesterday my bind started dieing
every hour and snort got just this alert and "WEB-MISC http directory
traversal" (I commented out the web-iis.alert from my snort.conf).
Here is the description of one packet (got from ACID):

IP:
  - Ver: 4
  - HdrLen: 5
  - TOS: 0
  - Lenght: 84
  - ID: 304
  - flags: 0
  - offset: 0
  - TTL: 49
  - checksum: 63772

ICMP
  - type: Echo Request
  - code: 0
  - checksum: 422
  - id: 21114
  - seq: 52203

The payload:
length = 56

000 : 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   ................
010 : 18 19 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E 1F 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   ........ !"#$%&'
020 : 28 29 2A 2B 2C 2D 2E 2F 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37   ()*+,-./01234567
030 : 38 39 3A 3B 3C 3D 3E 3F
89:;<=>?

Thank you all.

Bruno Gimenes Pereti.