Snort mailing list archives

RE: Deploying snort - Feedback reqd

From: Fraser Hugh <hugh_fraser () dofasco ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:37:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Machon [mailto:shane () twoplums com au]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 8:13 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Deploying snort - Feedback reqd

Greetings,

I am fairly new to snort, after running it up on some development
servers I see its massive potential for our network servers.

Im looking for feedback or case studies from people who have this sort
of scenario:

Ive got 6 sensors that I want to run snort on, and report to a central
system (either db or syslogd).

I just have some simple questions would like some feedback on.

1. Im guessing (very roughly) I would get aproximately 100+ alerts per
remote server per day (This is almost impossible to guess as snort is
not running on these machines yet). How much traffic would
this generate
on the remote computer? (Traffic comes at a cost ;)
Are we just talking kilobytes of data or potentially
megabytes of data?
Is there some sort of calculation that I could use to work this out
based on the approximation above (average bytes sent to a db for each
attack)?

The amount of traffic depends not only upon the number of events, but also
how much information you choose to gather for each event (it can vary
depending on how you configure your rules). It's certainly possible to
estimate the volume in a controlled, well-configured, steady-state
environment. But since the purpose of the IDS is to watch for anomalies,
you'll need to be aware that unexpected events like the Nimda virus have the
capacity to generate huges amounts of traffic from your IDS.

2. What is the best way of analysing the data? Would ACID be the best
solution (based on there only being 1 Sysadmin to maintain all these
servers)? Or has anyone run an email type solution that uses
syslog and
other programs (like logcheck perhaps) to send the sysadmin messages
when the alert file is updated?

ACID is a good real-time analysis tool. However,  don't have the luxury of
having someone watch a display 24x7. Getting the number of alerts down to a
manageable number is on-going process, but a necessary one to get to the
point where exception reporting is possible. It's an on-going process,
involving tailoring the ruleset to reflect our environment, and some add-on
code to selectively page only for certain alerts.

I hope many others have been in this situation, and I hope that these
people can provide me with their success stories on deploying snort.

Cheers,

SHANE MACHON
Network Administrator
Technical Project Manager
Two Purple Plums Pty Ltd.
TPP Internet Development
(NetNames Australasia)

  PO Box 334, Manly
  NSW, 1655, Australia
  Tel. +61 2 9970 5242
  Fax. +61 2 9970 8262
  Eml. shane () twoplums com au

    TPP Internet Development (NetNames Australasia)
    The International Domain Name Registry
    Registering Domain Names in over 200 countries
    http://www.netnames.com.au
    http://www.internetdevelopment.com.au
    http://www.twoplums.com.au