Snort mailing list archives

Re: Deploying snort - Feedback reqd

From: Chuck Morford <cmorford () dot state nc us>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 07:58:40 -0400

Hi,
First, I'm running Snort on Win2k,with no DB...

I'm snorting about 15 subnets with 1 sensor on a mirrored port on my switch.
(Which my network guys handle, don't ask me any switch config questions...)

I have a couple of schedeled jobs that shuffle the log every 30 minutes and
archive every 6 hours.
The shuffled log is emailed to me by the shuffling process, with a command
line launched sendmail...

I have generated, long-term average, about 50 megs of files every 24
hours...Until recently, when I decided to PASS all the $HOME_NET ->
$HOME_NET ICMP traffic...Now my logs are down to about 15 megs in 24
hours...

Chuck Morford
Hostmaster, NC Dept. of Transportation

Shane Machon wrote:

Greetings,

I am fairly new to snort, after running it up on some development
servers I see its massive potential for our network servers.

Im looking for feedback or case studies from people who have this sort
of scenario:

Ive got 6 sensors that I want to run snort on, and report to a central
system (either db or syslogd).

I just have some simple questions would like some feedback on.

1. Im guessing (very roughly) I would get aproximately 100+ alerts per
remote server per day (This is almost impossible to guess as snort is
not running on these machines yet). How much traffic would this generate
on the remote computer? (Traffic comes at a cost ;)
Are we just talking kilobytes of data or potentially megabytes of data?
Is there some sort of calculation that I could use to work this out
based on the approximation above (average bytes sent to a db for each
attack)?

2. What is the best way of analysing the data? Would ACID be the best
solution (based on there only being 1 Sysadmin to maintain all these
servers)? Or has anyone run an email type solution that uses syslog and
other programs (like logcheck perhaps) to send the sysadmin messages
when the alert file is updated?

I hope many others have been in this situation, and I hope that these
people can provide me with their success stories on deploying snort.

Cheers,

SHANE MACHON
Network Administrator
Technical Project Manager
Two Purple Plums Pty Ltd.
TPP Internet Development
(NetNames Australasia)

  PO Box 334, Manly
  NSW, 1655, Australia
  Tel. +61 2 9970 5242
  Fax. +61 2 9970 8262
  Eml. shane () twoplums com au

    TPP Internet Development (NetNames Australasia)
    The International Domain Name Registry
    Registering Domain Names in over 200 countries
    http://www.netnames.com.au
    http://www.internetdevelopment.com.au
    http://www.twoplums.com.au