Snort mailing list archives

Re: Win32 Snort w/ ACID on NT 4.0/IIS

From: "ed.davis" <ed.davis () divine com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:32:32 -0500

back up

this needs to be fixed first
--
When I login to the machine I first get a Dr. Watson error saying "srvany
has caused an access violation (0xC0000005) at Address (0x77F64D8A)"

Now, srvany is a native component of the OS, and if that doesn't
run, you need to fix that as well as other system problems. the error
indicates something very bad is happening and if srvany can't run,
you can be sure there are other system processes that can not be relied
upon

a snort sensor is a very heavy duty set of processes that
eat normal resources and you MUST have a perfect, clean, no
conflict system to run it on, if you want to have no problems
with it.

otherwise, you could get nagging issues constantly. find the cause
and fix the dr watson first and foremost. you should never get a
dr watson error on anything ever. even a poorly configured snort
will not dr watson on you, the errors on poor configured snort boxes
are snort errors, never system errors. dr watson is a system error.
can't build a strong fort on a cheap foundation, you dig ?