Snort mailing list archives

RE: Alert for web-based email sites

From: "Abe L. Getchell" <abegetchell () home com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:58:50 -0500

Greetings!

Running an nslookup, I get the results below.  Try alerting on these
addresses for Hotmail.

-| # nslookup
-| Default Server:  xena
-| Address:  0.0.0.0
-|
-| > www.hotmail.com
-| Server:  xena
-| Address:  0.0.0.0
-|
-| Non-authoritative answer:
-| Name:    www.hotmail.com
-| Addresses:  64.4.53.7, 64.4.54.7, 64.4.43.7, 64.4.44.7
-|           64.4.45.7, 64.4.52.7
-|
-| > exit
-| #

To alert on the access of various Yahoo! resources, at least the ones
that require you login (such as mail or fantasy sports (Red Wings
rule!)) check access to login.yahoo.com on port 80 and 443.  This worked
a few months ago at least...

-| # nslookup
-| Default Server:  xena
-| Address:  0.0.0.0