Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert for web-based email sites

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:46:46 -0600

"Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com> writes:

Hello,

I'd like to create a rule in Snort to alert me anytime someone opens an SSL
session at www.hotmail.com (since it is against our security policy
access web email).

alert $HOME_NET any -> 64.4.0.0/16 443 \
(flags: S; msg: "Some one doing https-webmail!"; )

www.hotmail.com has address 64.4.43.7
www.hotmail.com has address 64.4.44.7
www.hotmail.com has address 64.4.45.7
www.hotmail.com has address 64.4.52.7
www.hotmail.com has address 64.4.53.7
www.hotmail.com has address 64.4.54.7

Is where I got the IPs from - it may be too broad

I would ideally like to do this for all webmail related sites but I'm not
sure how to go about it. For example, it's OK for a user to go to
www.yahoo.com but not to get webmail from Yahoo.

doesn't yahoo webmail use a different server than plain old www.yahoo.com

Is there anyone else out there doing checks for this type of thing?

I think most everyone that is doing restrictive policy enforcement is
doing porn detection.

Writing snort rules will help give a good idea of how to go about
doing these kinda things
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.