Snort mailing list archives

RE: Test question

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:37:01 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Ronneil Camara wrote:

For me, I really appreciate seeing stuff in rules like content:"|ffff
ff2f 4249 4e2f 5348 00|". How the hell did that guy come up
with this rule!?! :-)

That's machine code from a particular exploit.  I was likely pulled off
the wire using a sniffer of some kind, or taken from the source code for
the exploit.  Many of the rules were done using a sniffer.  Developing a
rule like this is a tradeoff.  The above rule is probably fairly specific,
in that it will watch for a particular exploit, and tend to not have a lot
of false positives.  On the other hand, it's specific to that exploit, so
that if someone else write a different exploit, this rule may not catch
it, even though it's exploiting the same hole.

                                        Ryan