Snort mailing list archives

RE: Packet Drops...

From: bkippen () csw L-3com com
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:44:56 -0700

Does anyone know how get the packet drops on a Win2k machine? Win2k doesn't
seem to have an equivalent command to 'kill' and end task doesn't appear to
provide any info before closing out Command Prompt. I was not running it in
Daemon mode though. If I were in Daemon mode would it send the stats to
syslog still on Win2k?

Thanks,
Bryan Kippen

Send it 'kill -USR1 <pid>'.  If it's in daemon mode it drops packet
stats to syslog, otherwise they go to the console.

     -Marty

"Grimes, Shawn (NIA/IRP)" wrote:

I know this has been on this list before but I couldn't
find it in the
archives (maybe I searched for the wrong words) but I
wanted to know how you
could tell how many packets were being dropped by SNORT?

I thought it was 'kill -HUP pid' but that doesn't seem to
do it.  I'm
running snort with the '-D' switch so does that have
something to do with
it?  I know if I just run it at the command line (w/out
'-D') and I hit
ctrl-c it will give me a report of how many packets are
dropped.  But I was
hoping there was a way with it running in daemon mode.

Thanks,
Shawn Grimes