Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on RedHat x.x

From: James Garrison <jhg () athensgroup com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:03:46 -0600

We run it on RH7.1 with no problems.

I'm not sure why people gripe about RH being difficult to secure.
Sure, a few things come enabled by default, but you have to go through
the hardening exercise exactly the same way on ANY distribution.  I'd
never trust the distribution's idea of what should and shouldn't be
turned on.  Someone who wants a hardened system out of the box
without having to understand and verify it all is just lazy, IMHO.

Besides, with RH's chkconfig-based setup it's trivial to turn things
on and off.  Just keep turning things off until "netstat -na" doesn't
show any unexpected/unknown ports open :-)

On our bastion host we disable all chkconfig-based services
EXCEPT the following:

        atd
        keytable
        syslog
        kudzu
        network
        random
        rawdevices
        crond
        sshd
        reconfig
        linuxconf (not linuxconf web access)
        ntpd
        named
        snortd

Note that xinetd is NOT enabled.

named is up as a forwarding-only caching server for the internal
network and isn't bound to the external IP address.

sshd is running but requires RSA-based authentication and
forbids root login.

"Madziarczyk, Jonathan" wrote:
I've noticed a lot of gripes about how RedHat breaks stuff and how you have
to disable a lot of stuff to get it secure.

--
James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:jhg () athensgroup com                    5608 Parkcrest Dr