Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on large loads

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:59:58 +0000

Well I know that several large commercial sites are using snort on OC-12's
at 622 Mbps on xeons without packet loss according to their claims, so I
wouldn't expect any issues with T3/DS3/OC1 at 45Mbps on modern hardware
or even saturated fast ethernet at 100Mbps.  45 Mbps should barely make
your snort sensor break a sweat.  Your mileage with other IDSes may vary :-).

I think, as all the IDS vendors will eventually discover and the trade press
will someday clue into, at higher rates, the problems do not lie only in the
IDS software per se, as much as the interface drivers and OS architectures
and that oh so fun PCI transfer and DMA interrupt bottleneck.

The short answer is snort scales very well, thank you very much. Your mileage
with capture subsystems may also vary :-).

cheers,
--dr

On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:37:22 -0500