Snort mailing list archives

Snort on large loads

From: Don Heffernan <donheff () cais net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:37:22 -0500

I use Snort at home and have been impressed with what I read about what "real" folks are doing with it on this list. I sent my firewall guy at work an article I saw referenced on Slashdot. Here is his question: "...I am wondering about the ability of Snort to keep up with big loads, such as approaching 45 Megabits (downwind from a T3) on a FastEthernet or GigE segment. I understand there are products out there that may be much more comprehensive than NFR or RealSecure, but I am not sure that Snort can scale to such loads (It may depend on the hardware you throw at it though..) Any ideas on performance factors before Snort goes into what they are calling "sampling mode" .."

Does anyone have answers I can share with him?  ---

--
Don Heffernan
heffernan.cais.net