Snort mailing list archives

Re: Installing a new SNORT box

From: Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:14:13 -0600

At the risk of starting an OS Jihad, I recommend OpenBSD to someone in your situation for the following reasons:

* Secure out of the 'box'
* Most if not all features that you need are pre-installed, but disabled by default and easy to start up

I was in your exact situation a year or so ago, and tuning down Redhat was just too much of a hassle for the simple applications we needed. This is not to deny how great Linux is, I just think OpenBSD is better for *nix newbies putting boxes in hackable areas. (especially for an ultra-sensitive box like an IDS).

I'm running at least 3 Snort locations using OpenBSD and the exact same hardware specs you're using.

-Mike