Snort mailing list archives

RE: Encrypted sessions

From: "Abe L. Getchell" <abegetchell () home com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:21:54 -0500

Greetings!

Yes, putting Snort behind the point of encryption/decryption is a much
easier solution in most situations, but there are cases when that's not
possible.  Certain contract or security policy restrictions, in the
past, have kept me from placing a sensor on a client's internal network.
However, the client(s) wanted to monitor all traffic coming into their
network from the Internet, including the traffic which was being
encrypted.

The important thing to remember here is, "VPN Traffic"!="Internal
Network Traffic".  Most organization's security policies do (or should)
define VPN traffic under a lower security classification than internal
network traffic.  While it might not be cleartext, it is traversing the
Internet none-the-less.

Thanks,
Abe

--