Snort mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted sessions

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:06:00 +0700

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 04:25:50PM -0600, Michael Aylor wrote:
That would be neat, if there was a way of telling snort about the
existance of a private RSA key that it had read access to, so it could
reverse engineer the public key exchange it was watching...am I
oversimplifying?  My understanding was that, if you had the private key
(and presumably the password used to encrypt it), then you'd be able to
decode any traffic using that key.  Am I incorrect?

yes. see http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/, the only thing we need to somehow
integrate such huge piece into snort :-)