Snort mailing list archives

Re: VLAN tagging question

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:42:21 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Fyodor wrote:

 I doubt it would be possible to deliver frames without the tag, cuz
libpcap reads frames off the datalink directly, without having them
processes through underlying OS tcp/ip stack (normally).

Right.  The VLAN software is part of the NIC driver.  So, if you re-write
the NIC driver to just chop off the VLAN tag, libpcap should pick them up
OK.  VLANs aren't related to TCP/IP.

The Linux ISL driver I looked at, for example, patched the TULIP driver.
It would allow you to configure eth0:vlan#, IIRC.  In that instance, you
would actually get a logically seperate interface.  Given that, it ought
to be possible to re-write the driver so that instead of creating a
seperate interface, it keeps them under the physical interface, and drops
the tag.  Part of the software does the retrieval of the original frame
already.  You might even be able to keep the config syntax, so that you
can monitor only certain VLANs.  I have no idea how hard the mod would be,
and it's beyond my abilities, I'm sure.

(Note: I don't have the 802.1q spec in front of me, so don't take my word
for it that you can simply "chop off" the VLAN tag.  I don't know if
which, if any, checksums cover that tag.)

                                                Ryan