Snort mailing list archives

RE: Re: Wiring a "read only" cable (Joe Pampel)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:09:31 -0500

No, this is neither a crossover cable, nor are pins 1 and 2 simply cut.

(I can easily see how colorblindness would make it difficult or impossible to see that the wire colors of the sniffer cable match the normal one, not the crossover one.)

This is a normal ethernet cable, with pins 1 and 2 shorted over to pins 3 and 6 on one side, normal wiring on the other.

I suspect this was done by cutting a small amount of insulation off of pins 3 and 6, and soldering in pins 1 and 2, but I'm sure there are other ways to make the splice.

This is a pretty cool trick and looks like it will deal with the problem of just cutting the TX wires on 100baseT (which causes the link to go dead and you can't receive). I've not tried it, but it makes some sense to me why this works, and I'll believe Josh that it does work.