Snort mailing list archives

Re: Wiring a "read only" cable (Joe Pampel)

From: Donal Graeme <slivergun () techemail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:47:35 -0800 (PST)

My experience is that you can run a NIC in promiscuous mode without an IP address, thus eliminating the need for the
transmit wires to maintain any sort of link at all.

I have set up Snort to run on a NIC that is connected via a cable with only the 2 receive wires active. I did only what
Bill Cheswick in "Firewalls and Internet Security," and Steven Northcutt in "Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's
handbook" suggest. I have this arrangement working on a P4 system running RedHat 7.1. It is exactly as you have
described below. The key is to remember that a NIC need not have an address to be in promiscuous mode.