Snort mailing list archives

Re: Wiring a "read only" cable

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:30:32 -0500

I think the 14 pin connector you are looking at is AUI, not a 100baseT ethernet PHY connection. Perhaps you can point out where this diagram is on silicondefense.com?

Also with 100baseT it is impossible to create a read only cable by just cutting one or more pins of a twisted pair cable. The PHY layer sends short bursts of test signal that are expected to be echoed back in order to establish link.

Your best bet is to use an AUI adapter and cut pins on the AUI side. Of course, this implies having a 100mbit ethernet card with AUI input (uncommon).

Baring that you can create a "denatured" ethernet cable where the TX+ and TX- signals are not on the same twisted pair. This ruins the controlled impedance of the pair, and introduces bit errors into the data. If the denatured cable is the right length the short test bursts with make it through fine but data packets will have errors in them and be dropped. This process is not an exact science, but there is a website somewhere detailing what can be detailed. I do not have the URL offhand.