Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and Unix-Socket

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:46:08 -0700

I'm following up my own message.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:02:16PM -0700, Phil Wood wrote:
I actually got this to work, but to make it work in a general way I modified
snort.  Don't think my changes ever made it in.  The change just allowed
me to specify the file to use rather than the hard coded one in snort source.

Here is an example I just ran to see if the code I posted worked:

  Start up the unixsockd program.

  % ./unixsockd /tmp/socketname
  socket --> /tmp/socketname

  (start snort running with following entry in conf file:
   output alert_unixsock: /tmp/socketname [note: need a few mods to snort to
   get it to honor the argument to alert_unixsock output plugin])

  From somewhere on the net a gnome of sorts runs the following snippit against
  my machine:

  # teardrop1 192.198.1.97 192.198.1.97 -t 22
  teardrop   route|daemon9

  Death on flaxen wings: