Snort mailing list archives

Re: icmp

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:08:28 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Peter VE wrote:

My server (connected to the internet) has 2 NIC's
1 nic connected to cable modem
1 nic connected to LAN
server is running BlackICE

I installed snort on this server (Win2K)
should I let it listen on the internal interface, or on the external
interface

Unless there is a worry about attack from an internal machine, to an
internal machine, all attacks would have to traverse the external
interface.  So, you should monitor the external interface.

(but for some reason BlackICe doesn't work anymore... I guess
snort is handling all traffic)...

I never tried to mix the two... it's possible you can only run one at a
time.

                                        Ryan