Snort mailing list archives

Re: Spamming

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:32:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Chris Keladis wrote:

[...snip...]

Well i dont think parsing the envelope headers would be as much of a sin
as parsing the letter headers. (After all, most every MTA needs to parse
the envelope headers to deliver the mail).

Even if you match on the envelope headers, SPAM could still get past
since it could have correct envelope headers (say from a forward or a
redirect), but be a spam internally in the letter headers, and i kind of
agree with you, parsing the content (letter headers) is rather lame,
especialy since letter headers are simply strings of the senders
selection.

*sigh*  I need to remember to have _more_ coffee before doing email in the
morning.  *grrr*  I meant to say 'body' and not envlpe.  Oh well, I'll just
put on another pot.

Hehehe.. I hear you there :)

 Mailadmins are a testy breed...  ;-)

If this feature was seriously needed then i'd say you would need a
dedicated pre-processor, and even then you would have a hell of a time
parsing out the Received: lines since i don't think they need to conform
to any standard,  apart from begin with Received: for each mail-hop.

Yes, a mail-gateway would be the perfect thing.  All incoming mail drops into
a queue, then you do whatever you want to it, then send it out the backend to
your real mailstore.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams