Snort mailing list archives

Re: Spamming

From: Len Conrad <LConrad () Go2France com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:58:42 -0500

Ca we stop spamming using snort??? If yes how can it be done, I know that commercial Intrusion Detection Systems, are able to do it, can it be done with the open Source software, or limit the number of sessions that each IP can use on a certain port

The best defense against SMTP abuse is an SMTP relay gateway. See IMGate in my sig. It's free, and used by a few 100 ISP's and others with great success.

I don't think you´d like to burden snort with blocking a dictionary attack at a rate of 30K msgs/hour from 100's of ip's, as IMGate has been doing for one ISP for the last 3 weeks.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways