Snort mailing list archives

Re: Future or presently developed question

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:24:06 -0600

"Sean Wheeler" <S.Wheeler () netprotect ch> writes:

Hi,

With the current webserver attack frenzy we have experienced, I am seeing
literally thousands of entries in my logs 99% of which are irrelevant.

If I am asking a question which has been asked before please refrain from
the fames and rather point me in the direction I am looking for.

Is it possible now or in future to analyse response returned by the server,
and then have snort decide whether it is worth logging the alert or not ?

Most of this is a IDS postprocessing problem for lots of us. We *want*
to see where is trying things and what thy are trying.  Providing
enough functionality to prioritize them internally though would be an
interesting feature.

 for example a CodeRed II access to the backdoor dos shell, if the
server returns a 404 not found, could snort not report the IDS alert
in this case ?

attack-responses.rules:alert tcp $HTTP_SERVERS 80 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any
(msg:"ATTACK RESPONSES http dir listing"; content: "Volume Serial
Number"; flags: A+; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:1292; rev:1;)

Covers the case where you were successfully attacked by nimda.

Perhaps something can be done w/ streams for snort 2.0....

I am not asking for a million scenarios, but inparticular a function
for just the 404 example, which would reduce the alerts by probably
99 %.

If this feature does exist are there any "Heads Up" you have in using this
and where would I find documentation specificly on implementing this feature
?

I look forward to your constructive responses :)

regards
Sean

--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>