Snort mailing list archives

RE: SnortDB question

From: Fraser Hugh <hugh_fraser () dofasco ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:33:14 -0400

This configuration works well with snort, since each machine identifies
itself and tags all alerts generated by it in the database. I use ACID to do
the followup analysis.

If you want to go the distributed route, the ideal solution is to install a
second NIC in the probes and give them a separate LAN to converse with the
database engine. This provides the the "probes" with a private connection
un-affected by distrurbances in the network you're monitoring, and allows
them to operate passively without announcing their presence on the network
through a database connection. Admittedly, this isn't always do-able, and in
those cases I've opted to make the probes autonomous... each one runs snort
logging to a database, with some additional apps watching the database for
significant events, and a modem for paging.