Snort mailing list archives

Re: Double logging

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 01:27:59 -0400

Please update to http://www.snort.org/files/snort-1.8.1-beta5.tar.gz,
this problem is fixed in there.

     -Marty

"Selder, Patrick [NCSBE - Non JJ]" wrote:

What preprocessors do you have turned on?

I have frag2, stream4, stream4_reassemble, unicode, rpc_decode, bo,
telnet_decode, portscan, portscan_ignorehosts and arpspoof turned on.

Are all the double logged packets TCP?  Do you get double logged
packets for other protocols?
I get double logged packets for TCP and ICMP no UDP (yet).

Patrick

I'm getting all alerts double logged in the mysql database. When I
examen the contents they're exactly the same.
Even the sequence number is the same.

I tested with a single packet that triggers a rule. The packet gets
logged twice.
In the firewall logs I noticed only one packet being blocked so I
had
the idea that one packet slipped through. After searching I came to
the conclusion this wasn't the case. So it must be with snort ->
mysql
is guess.

I'm running snort 1.8-1 beta 2 build 44 with logging for log and
alert
to mysql on a red-hat 7.0 box. Reporting is via acid and demarc.

Any idea's where to look?

Patrick

--
Martin Roesch