Snort mailing list archives

Re: Individual rule msg definitions

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 27 Jul 2001 14:16:55 -0500

"Scott" <scottr () vdot net> writes:

Yes I am aware of the bugtraq, IDS numbers and cert ones, but what about
those that aren't referenced such as the ones I listed in the previous
email. I did a google but all I found were incidents but no definitions as
to what was the meaning.

[110:2:1]  spp_unidecode: Unicode Directory Transversal

I have no idea as to whether these alerts are serious or what
     they mean.

The alert is from spp_unidecode.  This attempts to act like the http
decode plugin but also decode multibyte unicode encodings into the
normal ascii style bytes.

if (((c==0x5c) || (c==0x2f) || (c==0x2e)) && do_detect)
{
      snprintf(logMessage, sizeof(logMessage),
        MODNAME ": Unicode Directory Transversal attack detected");

For the hex slow people:

perl -e 'printf("%c %c %c\n", 0x5c, 0x2f, 0x2e);'

\ / .

So, if the encoded byte is one of those characters, log it as a
unicode directory transversal attack.  Eg: a unicode mapping such that
is might be interpreted as /../
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
To err is human, to moo bovine.