Snort mailing list archives

Snort Version 1.8-RELEASE (Build 43)

From: <mls () coin gr>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:34:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I thought I'd let you know that I haven't had any problems running Snort
1.8-RELEASE (Build 43) with the small exceptance of snort core dumping
when running in normal (no daemon) mode and aborting using CTRL-C.

I'm currently running RedHat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.19-ow1 on a PIII 933mHz
w/ 256mB and (only) one NIC (RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet (100mbit)).

After removing and replacing the libpcap and tcpdump, that came with this
distribution, with more recent (stable) versions available snort continues
to run w/o any glitches sofar.

The following has been used/compiled:

libpcap-0.6.2
tcpdump-3.6.2

For snort:

./configure --with-libpcap-includes=../libpcap-0.6.2
--with-libpcap-libraries=../libpcap-0.6.2 --enable-flexresp

./snort -Afull -g snort -u snort -c ./rules/snort.conf -t /var/log/snort
-l ./ -D

The rules files and the conf are being used as provided with the
tarball of snort1.8p1 (w/ minor changed to the conf).

I have to admit that it took me several hours to get this going, since
jail was being a serious pain in the butt :)

Another happy snorting customer,

Regards,

Michael Sluimer
System Administrator