Snort mailing list archives

RE: eth0 going in and out of promiscuous mode?

From: "Jason Smith" <jsmith () firstcellular com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:41:44 -0500

It does enter prom mode but after some time, once it was about 24 hrs
another it was about 48 hrs,
it then leaves prom mode and snort stops running.  Why, I dont' know.  There
is no core or any
other messages in /var/log/message, so I'm  at a lose.

I'm running snort-1.8p1.  With the rules that came with it.  Start up is
/usr/local/bin/snort -A full -bs -u 501 -g 101 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -D.
Everything seems to work
fine snort just dies after a while.  I'm setting up daemontools per Ralf
Hildebrandt suggestion
so that should solve the problem temporarily but it doesn't solve the
problem of why snort dies.

Any other info you want just let me know.

Jason