Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort-Machine = Security Hole?

From: "Burleson, Lee (IA)" <Lee.Burleson () ia ngb army mil>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:58:38 -0500

If you have a decent switch, you can set spanning AND 'receive only' on the
port that the IDS is on.  Now you're talking about the _very_ remote
possibility of cracking the switch in order to change that setting.

Much less hassle than messing around with wire snips... :)
This discussion has gone on so many times, I don't know why I didn't think
of that earlier. (?)

Of course, that only ties up the external interface.  You could use IP
filters on the internal interface to make sure it's only talking with the
machines you designate.  That would be in addition to the other useful
suggestions made.

If They still get in after all that, you might as well pull the plug on your
whole operation.  LOL

- Lee