Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort-Machine = Security Hole?

From: "Crow, Owen" <Owen_Crow () bmc com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:14:38 -0500

<theory> Attacker sends packets designed to exploit a future buffer overflow
in Snort that opens a connection back to attacker's computer.</theory>  In
this case the first two way communication is initiated by your Snort box via
it's admin port back out to the Internet.  Once there's a buffer overflow
and a way back to the Internet, the Snort box is fair game.

[From this point on, I'm going to substitute "vulnerable system" instead of
"Snort system" since this isn't a Snort-specific problem.]
You mention the main fix for this, though: don't allow your vulnerable
system to connect back to the Internet.  That doesn't protect the other
systems on your management LAN that can be attacked by your now-hostile
vulnerable system.  If you don't keep the vulnerable system quarantined,
then you've got to expect anything it catches to spread.

Basically, I would treat the Snort box the way you would treat any other box
in your DMZ, important but expendable and possibly compromised.

I haven't analyzed the probability of that future exploit.  Snort itself
seems pretty immune in that it does minimal analysis of packet contents, but
some of the preprocessors could open up vulnerabilities if they make
assumptions about packet contents.  For comparison, see these links for
tcpdump exploits/DoS attacts:

"tcpdump AFS ACL Packet Buffer Overflow Vulnerability"
at http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1870
"Tcpdump Protocol Four and Zero Header Length Vulnerability"
at http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/313
"Multiple Sniffer Vendor DNS Decode Vulnerability"
at http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1165

The first one is an actual root compromise, the last two are just DoS for
tcpdump.

Of course you could just not worry about it until the first Snort exploit is
posted at 5:01PM on a Friday afternoon :).

Regards,
Owen Crow
Systems Programmer (Unix)
BMC Software, Inc.