Snort mailing list archives

Configuration issue, Part II

From: "DJDave Sobel" <dave () evolvetech com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:10:07 -0400

First off, thanks to everyone who's lended a hand -- I do appreciate it.
Let me know where to send the coffee and/or beer...

Now, to save bandwidth, I compiled my answers to everyone's questions
into this one email. :) Thus, those not interested only need ignore one
message.

First off, to answer Erik Adams (erek () theadamsfamily net):
        Tell me where to send your beer... Snort is located on my Linux
router, so it's on a machine with 6 network interfaces.  Two are
connected to the Internet, and four are to the internal networks.  I use
ipchains to block various unfriendly traffic, and control who can see
who, but all traffic passes across this machine.  All the interfaces
have been put into PROMISC mode (as I believed snort needed this).
It's placement on this machine would make me think it can see everything
that goes in and out of the network.
        It CAN see some traffic -- it does happily report on things it
sees internally, such as samba communications and nameserver
communications within the network.  Additionally, it does seem to report
occasional things from the outside.
        I performed this test, per your instructions:
                snort -dv host <webserver_IP>
        Snort displayed a great deal about communications going on
within the network.   However, only things within the network for the
time I watched.
        I then went to route-server.cerf.net and pinged the same
webserver -- it did NOT report anything.

Next, John Sage (jsage () finchhaven com):
        I had the same thought you did, but was expecting rules located
in web-iis.rules that contain the .ida access attempt to throw something
every time a default.ida was requested.  They haven't, so I'm assuming
there's something else wrong.

Now, John Berkers (berjo () ozemail com au):
        Where do you want your coffee?  As for output plugins, you're
right -- I didn't configure any.  However, even in this state, snort
does log alerts to /var/log/snort/alert and /var/log/snort/portscan.log
.  I assumed this was the default configuration, and this works for my
needs right now.  I thought I'd get it working before adding on a mySQL
backend and such.
        Is this not a true assumption?  If so, cool... if not, then why
is it logging to these two files even without me saying so?

Finally, Brian (bmc () snort org):
        Thanks for the catch on the portscan config.  I've now set
DNS_SERVERS to only be a remote DNS server I work with.

Thanks again for the help and insight everyone -- I do appreciate it.

Dave

Stripped down snort.conf for your reading amusement, and remind you of
the problem:

var HOME_NET
[209.190.196.160/28,209.190.206.65/32,209.190.206.66/32,209.190.206.64/3
2,10.1.0.0/24,10.2.0.0/24]
var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET
var SMTP $HOME_NET
var SMTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var HTTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var SQL_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var DNS_SERVERS [207.196.42.2/32]
preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans
preprocessor stream4_reassemble
preprocessor http_decode: 80 -unicode -cginull
preprocessor rpc_decode: 111
preprocessor bo: -nobrute
preprocessor telnet_decode
preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS
include classification.config
include exploit.rules
include scan.rules
include finger.rules