Snort mailing list archives

snort logs

From: "Ilya" <mail () krel org>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:53:15 -0400

thanks guys for help with starting the snort. on reading FAQ i see this: In
the past, running Snort in daemon mode (-D) produced a file named
   "snort.alert".  For consistency sake, this has been changed. Running
   Snort in both standard or daemon modes (-D) will produce a file named
   "alert".

but i still have snort.alert in my logging folder. its in some cryptic
format, so several questions arise:
        1) why do I have snort.alert and alert files?
        2) how do i read snort.alert or say snort.log
        3) what information is kept in snort.log ? (since its unredable to
human eye)
        4) also though i nmap scanned mysql from remote locations several
times portscan.log is still empty ...