Snort mailing list archives

Re: Memory usage on Snort

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb0x29a () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:07:15 -0700 (PDT)

Easy solution, don't use stream2, use stream4 instead.  stream2 is known
to have problems and all development on it has stopped.  Maybe i can
convince Marty to let me remove it from the current codebase.

-A

--- Scott Nursten <scott.nursten () StreetsOnline co uk> wrote:
Hey guys,

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but using

preprocessor stream2: timeout 10, ports 25 80, maxbytes 16384

makes snort run away with 1.4GB of memory in under 12 hours on our net'.
Once this is disabled, snort has not used more then 5.2MB of mem in 24
hours.

Any fixes - BTW I searched the archives for any stream2 complaints -
there were a few complaints about memory usage, but no fixes.

http://www.geocrawler.com/search/?config=4890&words=stream2&SUBMIT=Search+snort-users

Rgds,

Scott
--