Snort mailing list archives

Re: Install errors ??

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:22:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Hawrylkiw, Dan G wrote:

it *will* stop with dependency errors.
The trick is to install (using rpm -Uvh 'dependencyname..' ) all the
dependencies. There will probably be about 4 to 7 additional RPMs (libs,
etc-- and yes, those dependencies will also have their own dependencies).
once gcc RPMs in without errors you should be ready to compile.

If you don't have the CDs, you could ftp for each dependency as you need
it-- but that gets a little tedious..
(However, it is still easier than jumping ship to start a *BSD install.
-Sorry, Erik :-)
<disclaimer>Not knocking *BSD; I use it too.</disclaimer>

:)   No offense taken!  I'm a longtime SunOS/Solaris user, and the wonderfull
world of *BSD ports collection make me...  Well, let's just say it made my
day.   :)  No need to worry about what you needed....  Just cd
/usr/ports/whatever/port/ && make install .  Done.  No extra hoops, no extra
fixing, nothing!  If Solaris could do that, I think it would be the perfect
OS.  But, I guess my bigotry is showing....  :)  Gotta watch that in my
advancing years, lest I be called a 'Berkeley Hippie.'  Oh, wait--That's a
compliment!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy