Snort mailing list archives

Re: Install errors ??

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Tim wrote:

Iam new to IDS ... well security in general, but it has been an
insatiable curiosity I have been working towards for quite some time.  I
find the process of security a worthwhile challenge. Please be
patient....I have  general  knowledge of security and Iam in search for
the details and there are a lot of details I need for a better
understading. I read a lot yet there is so much, that it is practically
impossible to keep up and still have some kind of life. Your input for
my better understanding of the details will be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome to the world of "Holy Shit, Batman!  It's a Portscan!"  :)

Two Suggestions, if you don't already have them:

        W. Richard Stevens:  TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume One.  ISBN
0-201-63346-9 ($65)
        Stephen Northcutt:   Network Intrusion Detection, 2nd Ed.  ISBN
0-7357-1008-2 ($45)

With those two, you'll be good and busy for month or so... :)

I have downloaded the latest realease and made an attempt at compiling
to no avail....here is the messages I received after running the
./configure command :

[root@Nebuchadnezza2 snort-1.8.1-RELEASE]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Ok, if I'm to guess--I'm not a Linux Person, nor do even remotely like
it...--But I think you are missing the 'development' set of RPM's in which
your compiler gcc/cc resides.

Being that I am also relatively new to linux (RH 7.1 high end beginner
level) I am not making out what in actuality it is that Iam missing
.... would someone be so kind as to point out or point me in the
direction to where I can find the information  it is that I need in
order to make this installation a successful one. Again, your input to
my quest for the details will be gratefully appreciated.

From what I've seen others say:  rpmfind.net has more info on rpms than you
can shake a stick at.  Try there and see if you can find your compiler holy
grail there.

Once you get a compiler, things may _still_ not go smooth.  Check out what the
FAQ says about it:  http://snort.sourcefire.org/docs/faq.html#2.6  Oh, and
go-ahead and read the FAQ.  Might even find something useful in there.  :)

If you don't find your self a compiler, axe the RH and go over to the light:
*BSD.  :)  Or just buy and OpenSnort Sensor from SourceFire!  :-)

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy