Snort mailing list archives

Request network config check...

From: Markt () govirtual com au
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 04:20:38 GMT

Congrats on 1.8, Matt!

I've been cleaning up a site over the recent months... installing Linux boxes.. removing legacy systems....now it's down to the wall... The site has a Cisco + DMZ + Private 'C'. They have been connected on the one interface. I've built a IPTables LinBox ready to deploy as an 'internal router' / firewall / IDS. I like being able to use the snort logs to lock out script scans on the fly. I'm sure it's not recommended to build a link to the Cisco for making acls on the fly.
Do I have to re-delegate all the functions of the Cisco to the LinBox?
Have a first wall of the Cisco.
Have a second 'wall' of chains?
(I'm loosing spare IP numbers every time I distance interfaces through another box). It is more likely that reasonable security will be acheived where the rules management is (flexable), I suspect. Seems a waste of a Cisco router......!
Regards, Markt