Snort mailing list archives

RE: What machine is that... Anyway?

From: "Chris Eidem" <jceidem () dexma com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:23:58 -0500

Well, it would seem to me that if it has an unknown address on your
network, you've already spotted it.  You would really need something
like nmap to make a stab at what type of OS is running on it.  If you
are looking for machines in promiscuous mode there are many tools out
there to detect them.

http://www.securitysoftwaretech.com/antisniff/download.html
http://www.packetfactory.net/Projects/sentinel/
http://www.securityfriday.com/ToolDownload/PromiScan/promiscan_doc.html

You could run something like arpwatch to see if someone's trying to
poison your arp cache and pretend they're the gateway to attract all the
traffic.

Snort will just look at messages on the wire and notify you if there is
some suspicious traffic.

chris