Snort mailing list archives

Re: sircam removal

From: "JP" <Theblahact () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:44:57 +1000

Being the devil's advocate here, but some firewalls can do that. (industry
favourite = FW-1 - it is easily possible to block viruses, attachment types
etc).

Personally I think you are better off doing it with Snort...... or Hogwash
(http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/)  Has anyone got that up and running in a
serious prod env??? I have put it on the backburner for a while but looks
very interesting. I had an idea for developing an open source application
level firewall behind a normal packet filter - bridging firewall, dual
homed, inline, no IP addresses (drooling now.....). Hogwash looks perfect.
(still thinking about the redundancy aspect tho.....).

Packet filters are packet filters. Keep them simple and let them maintain
state etc for you. Do the funky application level stuff with something else.

JP