Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question on particular port scan of port 139/TCP

From: Sean O'Neill <swoneill () bigfoot com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:44:51 -0500

Well, I'm not related to either of these computers in any way. Never heard of these guys before.

I'm running a Win2K Pro laptop but its behind a Solaris 8 firewall running IPF. All their probes are getting dropped by my firewall. Their probes are all 139/TCP Syn packets. There aren't any Syn/Ack coming from them to me so I'm pretty sure I'm not initiating this.

Its sounds like this "probe" starts everytime they power their machines up. Also, I usually get probed again in the afternoon but I'm not sure what they are doing to make this happen. The probes are abusive. Maybe 12-20 packets for each burst then it stops. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not they only one getting "scanned".

I'm not an NT guy at all. Hoping to understand if a WINS server could be initiating this when various NT services are started for the first time on a box or if maybe these guys have be compromised in some way.

At 04:39 PM 8/24/2001 +0000, J. C. Woods wrote:
Sean O'Neill wrote:

> Gotta a question.
>
> There are two systems that scan me every morning on port 139/TCP.  I've
> called the owners.  They are a small trucking company with no IT
> department.  They are network/Internet newbies and have no knowledge of why
> their machines are doing this.  They power down their servers at COB.  It
> appears every work day when the power their servers up these machines scan
> me.  Then in the afternoon I might get scanned again.  What is weird is
> their servers are specifically scanning each of my 5 IPs.  I've never heard
> of the NETBIOS Session Service doing this before.  I don't get scanned all
> day.  Just once or twice a day - that's it.
>
> So could this be:
>
> 1) Related to a netmask issue.  They are using the same ISP I am with the
> same 8 (with 5 usage) static IP package from SWB.  So their netmask should
> be /29.  I can't imagine this could be it because they would have several
> other problems if their netmask wasn't correct.
>
> 2) Is there an NT compromise that fits this sort of activity their machines
> may be unfortunate enough to be hosting ?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

Hmmm, a lot depends on the particular OS's involved here, your and
theirs. And is one of you running Windows Server with the WINS server
enabled. It could be an attempt by a WINS Server, depending on who is
running this service, to query what it believes to be a NETBIOS client.
Some more info about the particulars is needed to fully understand what
is going on...

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods