Snort mailing list archives

Re[2]: [Snort-devel] IDS fingerprinting techniques & Snort's FlexR esponse...

From: Dmitry Komarov <dmit () tkb lv>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:29:51 +0400

Hello Abe once again, I just decided to send the question to the list!
:)

Stupid question, please: can I use flexresp WITHOUT an IP configured
on the interface? (i.e. while in "stealth" mode - just 'ifconfig eth1 up')

Maybe I'm in a lack of knowledge, but as far as I understand it should
be possible. And it would be very usefull for me. I have a CISCO
router and a firewall interfaces within a netmask 255.255.255.252,
connected through a HUB. SNORT sensor is a second interface of one
internal linux box, connected to the same HUB. This interface is just
"ifconfig eth1 up" for security reasons and because there is no
additional address space within the netmask. For the reasons you've
explained I also do not want to block suspected IPs on my FW1 server.
That is the background of my question.