Snort mailing list archives

Re: Firewall stopping detection?

From: "J. C. Woods" <drjung () sprynet com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:54:51 -0500

Matthew Collins wrote:

Do you have a rule that detects NetBIOS Connections? That is what grc.com checks for. Not a lot of use against Debian
(unless you are running samba).

David Findlay <david_j_findlay () yahoo com au> 20/08/01 12:46:09 >>>
I have just install snort from Debian Unstable, and customised the configf
 ile to suit my system. I then went to grc.com and used the probe my portst
 hing, to see if snort would detect it, but I get nothing in the logs. I have
a firewall using ipchains, which blocks all connections except for stuff
iniated from inside. How do i get snort to still detect attack attempts
coming in? Thanks,

David

P.S. Please CC me your reply as I am not a subscriber to the list. Thanks :-)

Whoa, now I am confused (no big deal)! grc.com will conduct a limited
portscan on about six or seven privileged ports. This is a attempt, by
grc.com, to connect to such ports as port 21, port 80, port 110, etc.
Now, this portscan has nothing to do with port 137 or 138. It is a
regular portscan in the mode of "nmap". grc.com does do a "shield check"
that will also check out your NetBIOS connections, if running. Whenever
I have used the grc.com portscan, snort does indeed pick it up....

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX SA