Snort mailing list archives

newbie questions

From: "Shcherbina, Andrey" <AShcherbina () tispp com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:59:25 +0200

Hi,

I've just installed 1.8.1.

How can I see whether Snort is processing all packets or not? What is the
recommended config?

How do I make Snort run as a service (I guess this is not a question for
this particular forum, so if it bothers you - just ignore)?

I tried 1.8 for a couple of days (then it's gone) and I was getting tons of
"possible retransmission detection", "portscans" and other stuff that didn't
actually look suspicious as it was all local traffic. Now, with 1.8.1 I
don't receive any of those. Was that a bug they fixed in the latest version
or am I missing something? I guess I used the same rules as before.

Thank you,
Andrey