Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: Snort and encrypted protocols

From: Marsiske Stefan <stefan.marsiske () sysdata siemens hu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:14:32 +0200

ok, but in this case it snort can only decode the streams it has the
certificates for. if you want to scan all traffic on a network this may be a
problem.

you have to decide, to ignore all other encrypted traffic, and if the box gets
compromised (despite a running snort, and compentent secadmins) you'll lose
the certs for that box only.
or you scan all encrypted traffic detecting malicious content for all boxen.
but then there is the risk of a single point of compromise.

we have 3 choices:
no ssldump functionality.
   - contra: no scan of encrypted traffic
   - contra: certs get also compromised on compromised host
host based ssldump functionality:
   - pro: hosts incomming/outgoing traffic gets scanned.
   - contra: lost of host certificates.
network based functionality:
   - pro all traffic gets scanned.
   - contra: all certs are compromised.

risk evaluation should tell you which approach to use.