Snort mailing list archives

Re: FAQ 10/100 Hubs Block Other Speed Traffic

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Dragos Ruiu wrote:

This _has_ to be put into the FAQ.

Agreed ;-)

Does anyone care to try penning/editing the conclusive,
concise, and tutorial answer also explaining the
operation of the hub that causes Snort/IDS problems...?

Also:  Can we add a list of hubs that are known to have this feature?  Or that
_don't_ have it?  I know what I have works dandy, but I'm out of town and
can't check the model number.

What kind of test can we give to the newbies?  We need something akin to
'ping' that will let them know if the hub is segregating traffic.  Does anyone
know if there _is_ such a test?  Or a set of things that are very simple to do
to check this?  And "No.", they won't be able to RTFM.  ;-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net