Snort mailing list archives

RE: CodeRed from non-IIS machines???

From: Kevin Brown <Kevin.M.Brown () asu edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:57:17 -0700

What does the rule look like that is catching this behavior.  It is likely
the rule needs to be tuned or altered to reduce the potential number of
false positives.

I've been learning Snort on the fly attempting to track down
CodeRed-infected machines here at my university.
Unfortunately, we have
many partially-administered IIS servers on the network.  Fortunately,
that number is dropping as a result of CodeRed and CodeRed II.

I started seeing some very odd things since getting 1.8.1-beta6 up and
running on Solaris8 / Ultra5 last night.  What I'm seeing is several
machines that are NOT Win2k boxes OR running IIS being the sources of
CodeRed I-style overflows.  All IP's seem to be NT4.0 or 98
boxes, some
of them locked-down lab workstation.  The destination addresses are
rather odd, as well, being rather popular surfing
destinations, such as
cgi.ebay.com, aolmail.aol.com, www.law8.hotmail.com, and our ISP's
akamaitech cache, not random, off-the-wall hits and misses like I
expected.

I was able to get a peek at one of the machines this morning, and did
not find anything unusual, although Explorer seemed rather willing to
segfault rather frequently.  Coming from a UNIX background, I wasn't
exactly sure where to look for anything nasty, and I was also
perplexed
as this was a lab machine that are pretty neatly locked down (AFAIK).

Has anyone else found anything similar?